Thursday, January 28, 2010

'The teachings of Paul and the teachings of Jesus' and what's in a name?


I posed a question the other day on Facebook where I asked fellow Christians whether they read the books of Paul the apostle or the words of Jesus more when they read the scriptures. There were some interesting answers and I loved reading all of them. I've had this thought for a while and here are some of my own personal thoughts.


What triggered my thoughts was that many evangelicals that I know or listen to, use the word 'Christ' mostly when talking about Jesus. They talk about, 'introducing people to Christ', their life 'in Christ', giving your life to 'Christ' and 'following Christ'. What struck me is that many of them never really said the name Jesus when describing their relationship to Him. Let me say that I don't have some major problem with them so this is not some heavy criticism piece trying to change anyone. Rather, its an observation with a few thoughts, challenges and questions. Ok? :)


I was thinking that in terms of Jesus, the word 'Christ' is who He is. He is the Savior, Messiah; the Christ. But 'Christ' is not His actual name. So perhaps to say, 'my relationship with Christ' is not as correct as saying 'my relationship with 'the Christ'. Sounds a bit weird though doesn't it? I asked an evangelical preacher the other day, who uses 'Christ' most exclusively in his faith language, what name he would use to cast out a demon if he needed to. He said he would say, 'in the name of Jesus'. So I asked him why he never really said the name Jesus when speaking about him. He said he's never thought of it. So I started thinking that to say 'Christ' sort of sounds a bit impersonal and not really intimate. I guess Jesus's real name was Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus bar Joseph. Perhaps the long version that we use ' Jesus Christ' sums it all up. His name is Jesus and He is 'the Christ'.


The reason I tend to say 'Jesus' when I talk about Him or to Him is that I like to use His actual name. The Scriptures seem to be clear that it is in His name that the power lies. I also like using people's names. I mostly refer to my wife as Rebecca when I'm talking to her or about her. I don't say, 'I was speaking to wife the other day' or 'when I met wife' or 'my wife' as often as saying 'when I met Rebecca'. I find it more intimate and personal to do so.


It is definitely a little more sanitary and seemingly less confronting to say 'Christ' than it is to say Jesus. Imagine sitting on a plane with a stranger and they ask you somehow about your faith. You say 'I gave my life to Christ..' Do you think it's more confronting and more personal to say 'I follow Jesus of Nazareth' or 'I gave my life to Jesus'?


So from listening to many of my fellow Christians who use, 'Christ' more often than anything else, I wondered if they read more of Paul's teachings as he tends to talk about 'Christ' more. I find that as I tend to read more of the teachings of Jesus in Matthew, Mark, Luke ad John, I am always using the word Jesus. I tend to speak of Him as 'the Christ'. Sometimes I wonder of people think that His first name is Jesus and his last name is Christ. :) Much the same way as my name is Paul Colman. In my way of seeing these words, it would be correct to say Paul the musician and therefore Jesus the Christ. Otherwise you would have to call me 'musician' as it is my vocation. Jesus is His name and being the Christ was/is His vocation.


So there it is. Just a thought and a set of questions to ponder. I think God gets who we are talking to and He's not confused no matter what you say. I also think its wrong to harshly criticize other's language and miss the heart of what they are saying. I've done that before and don't want to do it again. My thought is that the way we talk about and communicate our relationship with Jesus does have an affect on others and also on ourselves. So perhaps of you would call on His actual name if the airplane was going down or if you're casting out an evil spirit, why not use His name rather than His vocation when you talk about Him.


Just saying'………….:)


Paul Colman Jan 28, 2010






10 comments:

  1. Very well put!
    This has been something that I have been thinking a lot about as of late. I believe that there are times when using His title (Christ) is more 'appropriate' (?) than simply using His name, but I completely agree with you in that His name is much more intimate. When conveying how He has worked in and through you, the name of Jesus shows His love in the same magnitude that the title of Christ shows His power.

    Does that make sense? Perhaps not.
    Regardless, I loved your post and am glad that you are "Paul Musician". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably depends what angle of message you are putting across, but in an evangelical sense using Jesus' name but defining, explaining then using the title Christ would also be important.

    Jesus is both our Saviour, Priest and King, so though the relationship with him is based on his unyielding love for us, and his act of love on the cross saved us - we must also remember (and I believe adequately explain to those seeking him)that he is also our King. That comes to an understanding of what the Messiah - or Christ - really is. The one from God who rescues but also rules his people.

    I agree let's use the name Jesus, but let's also not get to the point of lifting the 'friendship/relationship' higher than the cause of the Christ - and what that ultimately means for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were speaking to someone about my friend who happens to be Barack Obama, I would call him The President because it defines his role and conveys his power.

    I agree that people can tend to avoid using the Name Jesus because of a concern for what people will think. People tend to get uncomfortable when someone brings up Jesus.

    I think a persons meaning is more important than the words they use to express it. For instance, when someone uses the term "Evangelical", many times they mean Christian. But I guess the word Christian makes people uncomfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam,

    "If I were speaking to someone about my friend who happens to be Barack Obama, I would call him The President because it defines his role and conveys his power."

    Would you do this if you were his best friend?

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I'm a "Jesus" person. I even prefer using the Hebrew "Y'shua" where possible.

    I was struck by someone close to back in Oz repeatedly using "Christ" all the time too. They love God, but it was a little odd hearing ten or fifteen "Christs" in an exchange and no "Jesus".

    Nice blog mate. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Craig,

    I might. Depends on who I'm talking to and what I'm talking about. For instance, if I'm talking to someone about my sister who doesn't know her, I wouldn't just use her name, I would say "my sister" (like I did here).

    Again, I agree that people tend to avoid saying Jesus, I just think using the term Christ isn't necessarily a negative thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overall, we are careless in our use of words. People like me that call others out on the carpet can be obnoxious at times, but clear communication is very important.

    I love looking up the root words and meanings when trawling through a Bible passage--the meaning and richness is overwhelming at times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Post! I was thinking about this same subject on the other side of the spectrum though. People who habitually call Him "Daddy", or the like. My initial reation to this is "Hey!! This is the God who created all there is and will ever be, let show some respect!!" After I climbed down from my horse, I realized that to have ANY one aspect of God's character as his whole identity, is missing something. God is amazing and, like his creations, is prety complicated. Sometimes he is Christ, other times Daddy, Healer, Comforter... He is always what we need.

    Just my thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with this, thanks for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete